Report it parents and carers

If in doubt, speak out.

I’m worried my child has been abused or is at risk

  • Talk to your child. Listen calmly and don’t get angry but reassure them that it’s not their fault and encourage them to tell you what’s happened
  • If they are in immediate harm or in need of emergency medical attention call the emergency services on 999
  • Otherwise call our Children's Social Care Team on 01942 828300.

My child is being bullied at school, what do I do?

  • Talk to the school and ask for support to help your child overcome bullying
  • Visit Childline’s website (external link) which has a really useful section on bullying. Encourage your child to visit the site too.

I’m worried that someone who works with children/young people may pose a risk

You should be worried about a person who works with children if they have harmed a child, possibly committed a criminal offence against or related to a child, or if they have behaved in a way that suggests they are unsuitable to work with children.

Firstly speak to the person’s manager about your concerns. They, or a dedicated safeguarding member of staff, will contact the Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) within one working day of being informed of the risk and take appropriate action.

Someone has acted inappropriately online

If someone acts inappropriately towards a child or young person online you must report it. It may be sexual chat, being asked to do something that makes them feel uncomfortable or someone being insistent on meeting up with them.

Useful links